In 1758, Secretary
of State William Pitt and the military Commander-in-Chief Sir John
Ligonier ordered Gen. John Forbes to lead a campaign against the
French at Fort Duquesne. A series of fortifications were built along
the "Forbes Road" constructed across Southern PA and at Loyalhanna
Creek, a camp was to be erected to serve as a final staging area
for the assault on Ft. Duquesne. Colonel James Burd began construction
of the "post at Loyalhanna" on September. 3, 1758.
by recent victories, the French with 440 marine infantry and militia
along with 150 Indians engaged the "post at Loyalhanna" on Oct.
12, 1758. Two days of fighting resulted in a stalemate with the
French returning to Duquesne believing any attack on their fort
would be postponed until spring - the principal reason for attacking
Ligonier. However, by Nov. 25, 1758, Gen. John Forbes occupied Ft.
Duquesne and renamed the site "Pittsburgh" in honor of his Secretary
of State and designated the post at Loyalhanna "Fort Ligonier" after